|Using tailstock to start a straight tapping|
|Finishing tapping on a vise|
Then the piece is thread on the spindle nose and faced. Since the thread on the nose did not go all the way to the register surface, a few threads need to be bored away. I don't have a boring bar, so I have tried to grind a drill bit to be held on tool post as a boring bar. I have tried it on aluminum just to make sure it works. It did. But when I put it on use on steel, it turns out did not cut as well. Maybe I didn't grind the cutting edge well enough. But I ended up just enlarge the hole with the 1/2 drill I have to get it against the register.
As I mentioned earlier, I was able to get the thread cutting of the lathe working. So I got that ready and start threading it. Contrary to Dean's experience, I was able to cut the entire length with the threading indicator mounted. This is the first real thread I am cutting, so I have also bought a 3/4-16 die ready to finish it. I really have no idea how deep it should go, and learnt my share of lessons there. I thought I got it deep enough, and tried it with the die. In the process, I have removed the tool and soon realize that it would not be in the same place when I put it back. Fortunately I have the die ready, and I would finish the thread with it.
That turned out to be another tough operation I have to drive to the maximum that my little vise can handle. In that process, the surface is destroyed again, which I have to turn down afterward to clear the deep marks. But all in all, I have a cool looking adapter ready to mount my Taig chuck (which I purchased for this modification).
So here is my new chuck, sitting nicely on the lathe ready for the next project.